Figuring out how to write a Best Man’s Speech can be a challenge. So much so that some Best Men simply skip it altogether. And of the one’s that choose to write and deliver the speech, many say it’s the most difficult part of being the Best Man. But it doesn’t have to be that way. By following a few common sense guidelines you can take a lot of the stress of writing the Best Man’s Speech away.
- You’re the best man! There’s a reason why you were picked to be the Best Man. You probably know the groom better than 99% of the guests. Keep this in mind, especially while you’re delivering the speech. Be yourself and address the bride and groom whenever you’re speaking about them. It’ll help ease any public speaking anxiety.
- K.I.S.S. Keep it simple. A thoughtful, sincere and short speech will be appreciated by every one in attendance, especially the groom. Unless you’re particularly creative, keep it under four or five minutes. Practice it several times to make sure it’s clear, concise and clean.
- Introduction and thank you’s. Introduce yourself to the guests and tell them how you came to know the bride and groom. Not everyone will know who you are or your specific relationship to the groom. This may present you with the opportunity to inject a little humor into the speech. If there’s a funny, and clean, story about how you met, tell it. Also, make sure to tactfully thank everyone who made the wedding day possible (i.e. parents.) Thank the bridal party. They are honored guests of distinction too. And thank all of the guests for attending the celebration.
- Celebrate the groom’s virtues. One of your roles as the Best Man is to serve as the groom’s advocate. This means focusing on positive qualities while avoiding any negatives. This may be yet another opportunity to share a funny or heartfelt story. Whatever you do, don’t mention irresponsible behavior or previous relationships. And never say anything negative about the bride. Instead focus on how much the groom loves his new bride; his loyalty, kindness, generosity, courage, persistence, etc. And how she has enhanced all of the positive parts of his personality. Let them, and all of their family and friends, know just how lucky they are to have found each other.
- Propose a toast. You’re job isn’t complete until you’ve wished the bride and groom all the best in their new life together. Speak from the heart, raise your glass and take a well deserved drink.
If you found this page to be helpful and you still more ideas for writing your speech, here’s a great product that’ll help you write the perfect best man’s speech. It’s a great product that many of our clients have used to write their best man and maid of honor speeches. You’ll get a great product at no extra cost to you and we’ll earn a small commission for referring you. Thank you for your support.
Ladies and gentlemen, a moment’s pause for the best man. As you probably know, it is customary for the best man to reveal rare insights into the make-up of the groom; to share with us the unique traits that make our beloved groom the man he is. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the best man!
Best Man’s Speech
Good afternoon, everyone! For those who do not know me, I am the best man. My name is Dave, but if you see me at the bar later, I prefer to be called by my full name, Dave This-drink’s-on-me.